Australian Glossary of Business Card & Printing Terminology
Professional printers will often ask you for details when you submit your order for business cards. Here are some of the key terms to keep in mind when ordering your professional business cards:
- CMYK/RGB Colour
- CMYK stands for cyan, magenta, yellow, and black. RGB stands for red, green, and blue – Each is a type of colour profile. Most printing companies print using the CMYK process whereas most monitors and graphics programs are set to use RGB. This can cause colour fluctuations in the finished product.
- Card Stock
- The term ‘card stock’ refers to the thickness of the paper the card is printed on. This is either measured in points (pt.) or pounds (# or lb.) Generally speaking, the higher the number the thicker the paper. Most professional business cards are printed on 100-110lb. stock (around 12 pt.) Adding a coating such as UV gloss can add to the paper stock increasing its thickness so keep this in mind.
- The term ‘bleed’ when referring to professionally printed business cards indicates the margin allowed for error. During the printing process there can be a shifting of materials or other variables that move the outlined points of printing, and the bleed allows for this shift.
The average amount of bleed on business cards is an extra 1/8″ on each of the four sides. Make sure your graphics go off the page that much to insure proper printing.
Embossing: ‘Embossing’ is a process where metallic foils are bonded with the card stock to create an imprint effect on the card. It is usually used sparingly to accent or accentuate certain areas of the business card.
Standard bleed and cut sizes
When constructing business cards, there are certain bleed and cut size requirements depending on your international region:
- Bleed size: 92 × 60 mm (3.62 × 2.36 in) (1⁄8 in bleeds)
- Standard cut size: 90 × 55 mm (3.54 × 2.16 in)
- Bleed size: 95.25 × 57.15 mm (3.75 × 2.25 in) (1⁄8 in bleeds)
- Standard cut size: 89 × 51 mm (3.5 × 2 in)
- Bleed size: 91 × 61 mm (3.58 × 2.40 in)
- Standard cut size: 85 × 55 mm (3.35 × 2.17 in)
It’s important to know your business card dimensions, colour scheme and other details such as your design details and finish preferences when choosing a printer for your business cards. Professional printers such as Discount Printing will be able to guide you through the process including details such as gloss or matte options as well as size so you receive a professional, impressive quality business card to hand out to the public or potential clients.